May Day 2013
- Wednesday, May 1, 2013
- 11:30am – 11:00pm
- Throughout Albany!
May 1st is international workers’ day and a network of workers, feminists, students, radicals, labor organizers, queer activists, environmentalists, prison abolitionists and occupiers from across the Capital Region have been busy planning!
Our message is clear: our struggles are connected, so too must be our resistance! We recognize that the systems of oppression we face – from capitalism and authoritarianism, to patriarchy and white supremacy – mutually define and reproduce one another. We understand that in order to undo these systems of oppression, we need to build real movements for social liberation able to build, take, redefine, and decentralize power in society.
With that in mind, we are promoting a full day of actions, marches, education and revolutionary music that all are welcome to join:
- 11:30am to 1pm: New Sanctuary for Immigrants, march & vigil for Immigrants’ Rights from 273 Central Ave. to Washington Ave. Armory.
- 1:00pm to 3:30pm: Support the Students’ May Day Walk-Out! UAlbany uptown campus.
- 4pm to 5pm: Justice for Janitors – Worker Action @ the Alfred E. Smith Bldg. on Swan St (btwn State & Washington)
- 5pm to 6pm: Gather in Academy Park – speakers on the history of May Day & connections btwn our struggles.
- 6pm to 7:30pm: Intersectional March from Academy Park to the SUNY Admin Bldg. on Broadway highlighting the connections between our struggles.
- 7:30pm to 11pm: Live music & free food! After-party at the Red Square – 388 Broadway (18+ have id).
Spread the word! Join us on May Day 2013!